Providing excellent service and support is key to attracting new customers and retaining existing ones.
When a business provides that kind of service and support, it not only achieves happy customers but also excels in the market. After all, customer service and customer support are two critical functions that are vital to the success of a business.
While both are related terms and often used interchangeably, they however are not the same. Each plays a unique role separately and can also work together to build customer satisfaction and loyalty. Both are essential for providing a seamless customer experience.
Similarly, both customer service and support hold equal importance for businesses, and investing in both functions can help not only achieve customer loyalty but also build a solid reputation in the marketplace.
In this blog, we will explore how customer service and support are similar at some levels and different at others.
Let’s get started then with what is customer service.
What is Customer Service?
Customer service is a vital function and a key aspect of any business that involves providing assistance and solutions to customers and fixing their issues with the product, service, or any other aspect of the business. It may comprise a wide range of activities, such as responding to customer queries, offering resolutions to problems, handling complaints, etc. that are critical for building customer satisfaction and gaining trust.
Providing excellent customer service is not only vital for building trust and reputation among customers and the market but also to drive sales and increase revenue. By investing in customer service, a business can make customers their top priority, deliver satisfaction, and positively impact the bottom line.
The key components of customer service include –
- Communication: Effective communication is the key pillar of a successful customer service strategy.
- Responsiveness: Responding to customer needs in a prompt and timely manner is essential for addressing their problems and enhancing their overall experience with the business.
- Professionalism: Maintaining professionalism in all conversations and interactions with customers is important for creating a positive experience and establishing credibility.
- Product Knowledge: Businesses should invest in continuous training and development for their customer-facing employees so that they gain a solid knowledge of the products, services, and processes.
- Empathy: Handling customers and responding to them with a touch of empathy is a must-have service quality that employees should possess.
What is Customer Support?
Customer support is a vital component of a business that involves various services provided to customers during, before, and after a sale. The primary goal of customer support is to make customers satisfied with the products or services by addressing any issue or concern they may have.
Effectively communicating with customers is at the root of a successful support strategy where the purpose is to provide help as and when needed. Excellent support needs a team of trained professionals engaging and helping customers over various channels and at each stage of the journey with the brand.
The key components of customer service include –
- Communication and availability across channels – Effectively communicating with customers and staying available across channels such as phone, live chat, email, and social media is a vital aspect of ensuring help as and when needed.
- Extensive product knowledge – The foundation of great support is built on the platform of extensive knowledge of the product, service, and procedures as only this can enable effective assistance with accuracy.
- Problem-solving approach – Customers need assistance when they face issues with the product and service. Support teams must possess a problem-solving attitude to offer solutions that satisfy customers and increase their experience with the brand.
- Continuous Improvement – Great support becomes possible only when a business invests in the training and development of employees and encourages them to improve on the processes, techniques, and tools.
Customer Service Vs Customer Support
While customer service and support are different at some level, they also share many similarities which are essential for building a robust customer experience strategy for businesses. After all, 68% of consumers are willing to pay more for brands that offer good customer service experiences.
Some of the ways in which customer support and service are the same include –
- Both functions are centered on successfully meeting the needs and requirements of the customer. Their purpose is to ensure that customers find no issue with the product or service or experience provided by the business.
- Addressing customer concerns and resolving their issues are two vital facets of both customer support and service and effective communication is essential for realizing both goals.
- Solving customers’ problems or complaints or technical issues is the most important task that customer service and support have to fulfill.
- Whether customer service or support, the focus is always to provide accurate information to customers and guide them rightly through their problems with the help of product knowledge.
- Being empathetic to customers’ problems and relating to their needs and concerns is a hallmark of both customer service as well as support.
Differences Between Customer Support and Customer Support Service
Many people use the terms customer service and customer support interchangeably assuming both are the same. They may be related in various ways, but there are some marked differences between both concepts.
|Support is mostly about offering technical assistance and resolving any issues with the product or service
|Service is concerned with providing value to customers at each stage of the journey with the business
|Support is short-term oriented as its purpose is to resolve the immediate problem of the customer
|Service is a broader concept with a focus on helping customers make the most of the product and service
|The focus of customer service is on problem-solving and troubleshooting in a time-bound manner
|Support is more geared towards assisting customers to get value out of the purchase
|It involves responding reactively to a customer’s problem
|It’s about proactive interaction
|Its sole aim is to ensure the proper functioning of the product
|Its sole aim is to ensure customer satisfaction with the product
|Customer support involves both hard and soft skills
|The delivery of service may not involve many advanced skills
|Customer support tasks and operations are key to the tech, Saas, and e-commerce industries
|Customer service is universal as any industry that has customers will need it
|Support is about giving immediate value to customers
|Service is more centered on building a long-term relationship with customers
5 Key Tips to Improve Customer Service
Providing great customer service can help a business build trust in the market and also grow revenue. However, it takes a planned approach and consistent effort to offer the kind of service that works best for customers.
Some key tips for improving customer service include –
- Active listening – Actively listening to customers is often the foundation of providing amazing service. Businesses that actively listen are better able to understand customers’ problems, resulting in more success with the delivery of service.
- Swift action – Delay in responses can frustrate customers. When an issue is not fixed quickly or when action is not taken in a timely manner, customers might feel bad and even think of leaving the business. A swift action coupled with prompt responses in every situation is always essential for improving customer service.
- Right guidance – Sharing accurate information with customers and guiding them correctly through their problems is the core of excellent service. This is best realized when a business has knowledgeable and trained personable for customer servicing tasks.
- Tailored approach – When providing customer service, every customer should be treated as unique with a focus on a tailored approach aligning with their needs and preferences. It also means a business should provide a customized service that meets and exceeds the expectations of customers.
- Long-term relationships – One of the basic requirements of customer service is to build long-term relationships with customers and look to improve their experience with each stage of the journey.
5 Tips to Improve Customer Support
Customers have high expectations these days and they seek value with the product or services they purchase. Support plays a key role in enhancing customers’ value and experience with their purchases. So much so, if the customer service is great, 78% of consumers will do business again after a mistake.
Some of the key tips for improving customer support include –
- Prioritizing response time and ensuring efficiency are vital ingredients of great support. When support agents are able to respond promptly to customer inquiries or complaints, they lay the foundation of amazing support.
- Good support can never be provided unless a business has a well-trained team with the right knowledge and skills to handle customer issues. Providing training to employees and investing in their ongoing development can have a positive impact on support delivery.
- Businesses can use technology and tools such as AI-powered chatbots, live chat software, etc to improve support. The use of customer engagement tools can prove decisive in boosting the quality of support.
- Collecting customer feedback and then working on them can ensure desired improvements to support processes. This can help a business match the standards of support easily.
- Excellent support is often a blend of skills and empathy coming together to improve the overall experience of customers. When a business shows an attitude to understanding customer concerns and realizing their situation, it can offer the kind of support customers expect.
Good Examples of Customer Support and Customer Service
Convenience to customers should always be a top priority for any business when it comes to offering service and support. While many companies preach this motto and ignore the groundwork, Tesla is an exception. The company meets its customers where they are by going to their homes and fixing issues with their cars. This saves customers the inconvenience of finding a repair shop and sitting around till their car is repaired. They can rather schedule their own time and this greatly adds to their overall experience with the brand.
Customers always expect companies to listen to their problems and respond to their emails. This makes them feel heard and valued. While many companies understand the value of instant reply to customers, only a handful of them really walk the talk. Zappos is one such company that takes customer emails very seriously and responds to each and every one of them. In some cases, it even goes beyond the norm and invites its loyal customers to have a factory tour and see the facilities there.
When a company has reached the top of the industry, it means it must have prioritized customers above all. Amazon is such an example that has set the standard for customer support. The best thing about the world’s largest e-commerce retailer is that they provide various support channels including phone, live chat, and email. Apart, the company takes customer problems very seriously and tries to resolve issues immediately whether it’s related to a return, missing package, or a faulty product.
Apple has been providing exceptional customer support for a long and this is one of the main reasons why has won a huge dedicated customer base that others can just match. It offers tech support through its “Genius Bar” in Apple Stores and lets customers use chat and phone for online support. Its unwavering focus on the customer experience, together with the quality of support it provides, puts it way above the rest across industries.
Use REVE Chat’s Engagement Tools For Quality Customer Service
Your business needs the right technology and tools at your disposal to boost the quality of support and service. With REVE Chat, you will find a top-class range of engagement tools suited to meeting customer experience needs.
Our AI-powered chatbots can help you automate a variety of customer service tasks, automate responses and boost response time. With a bot, the delivery of customer service can be prompt and efficient.
Other helpful tools that can add great value to your overall customer service strategy include video chat software and co-browsing software. You can also pair the chatbot with live chat software and deliver hybrid support.
The landscape of customer service is changing and a business needs the right approach and technology to keep pace with the changing times.
With REVE Chat, your business can find the support of the right technology and redefine customer service.
You can sign up and check our customer service tools.