Good customer service is the lifeline of every business as it is the top criteria to make or break the same. Following the golden rules of customer service are simple, however, there is often a difference between a good customer experience and a great one.
Let’s find out – Good customer service exhibits that a company cares about its customers and is willing to go the extra mile to make sure they are happy. It can also help build customer loyalty.
Bad customer service, on the other hand, can drive customers away. They may take their business elsewhere or even write negative reviews online. It’s therefore essential for businesses to provide excellent customer service if they want to succeed.
In this article, I will illustrate what are the golden rules of customer service, why it is important, how to increase customer service standards and more.
Why Do You Need to Provide Superior Customer Service?
Happy customers lead to more money, growth, and sustainability. Providing superior customer service matters. So does product, design, distribution, marketing, sales, and the myriad of other resources in your company.
By providing consistent customer service experiences, your customers will associate that good feeling with the transaction. They will then be more likely to come back and transact with your business again.
Here is how following the customer service rules can impact your business growth:
- Boost Business Revenue: The number one reason why customer service is important in a business is because it correlates to revenue: More than 84% of companies focusing towards improving customer service report a significant increase in revenue.
- Increase Customer Retention: Providing good customer service is an effective way to keep your customers coming back and purchasing your products. It is also cheaper and effective compared to advertising to people who don’t know you in the first place.
- Develops Positive Brand Image: Good service experience leads to positive word of mouth & good reviews on social media that helps increases the face value of the brand. It is vice-versa with there is bad support experience.
- Builds Trust and Loyalty: When customers are happy with the service they receive, they are more likely to trust and be loyal to that company. Good customer service creates a positive experience for customers, which can result in repeat business and referrals.
Hence, it is clear that following customer service rules are vital for any business.
How Many Golden Rules of Customer Service are There?
Following customer service rules might vary from one business to another. It is important to identify the right rules that will lead to positive results.
However, the golden customer service rules are simple, but they’re essential if you want to provide a good experience for your customers.
What do you think about how many customer service golden rules there are?
Here is a quick summary of the 15 golden rules of customer service excellence:
- Every Interaction Matters
- Build Strong Relationships
- Adopt Omni Channel Customer Communication
- Show Respect and Value Their Time
- Don’t Argue With Customers
- Know When to Apologize
- Serve the Customer Before Anything Else
- Support Customers Consistently
- Ensure Robust Communication
- Train Your Employee to Provide Superior Customer Service
- Put Yourself in Customer Shoes
- Be Friendly and Professional
- Listen Carefully
- Be Patient and Understanding
- Ensure You Can Keep Your Promise
Let us discuss each golden rule comprehensively.
1. Every Interaction Matters
Customer service is the backbone of any successful business. Hence, every single interaction with customers matters.
It is crucial to turn the interaction productive by keeping the best foot forward. It is the time when you need to understand your customer needs or pain points so that you align your service in a personalized way to match with their expectations.
Understanding the customer’s state of mind and following the golden rule in customer service i.e. to be polite and respectful is very important. It help to diffuse the annoyance of an angry customer and resolve the issue faster.
You can also introduce the advanced customer engagement tools to identify the issue quicker and deliver first contact resolution.
Here are some ways how to make every conversation effective?
- Integrate live chat to your website to address customer concerns in real time. It helps to understand customer pain points and deliver relevant response.
- Empower your support team with advanced customer engagement tools like co-browsing and video chat to collaborate with customer sin real time and deliver personalized assistance.
- Leverage chatbot solution to engage customers 24×7 and engage their common queries.
2. Build Strong Relationships
Do you know that the average businesses loses between 20-80% of its customers annually simply because of poor customer relationships.
A good customer relationship develops when the customers have a consistent customer experience every time they interact with the business and leaves them with a good impression.
The actions for building strong customer relationships includes deliver real time support and also proactively offering solutions that are geared towards customer success. Customer relations aims to create a mutually beneficial relationship with the customer that extends beyond the initial purchase.
The ultimate benefit of following this customer service golden rule is that it will help you to grow your business. When you have a strong relationship with your customers, they will be more likely to come back and shop with you again in the future. They will also be more likely to refer their friends and family to your business.
Best practices to build good customer relationships
- Customize your approach with warm greetings depending upon the situation.
- Make your customers feel that you understand their needs and pain points.
- Know that some customers are more interested in the ways you build customer relationships than your products or services.
- Keep your customers notified about the things they are interested to do business with you.
3. Adopt Omni Channel Customer Communication
The implementation of the omni channel customer communication strategy has allowed us to resolve customer inquiries quicker whilst simultaneously improving our SLA (Service Level Agreement) by 24%. It has also enabled us to hire less staff, increasing productivity and increasing overall agent satisfaction.
According to a new study, a business that has a strong omni channel customer service retains on average 89% of customers. If you want to take your business communication to the next level the bots is a great option.
Let’s take a look at why it’s important to be available in multiple channels;
- Convenience. Your customers want to be able to shop how they want when they want. If they can’t find you in the places they’re looking, they’ll find someone else.
- Accessibility. Customers want to be able to reach you whenever they need to. If you’re only available through a certain channel, and they can’t reach you there, they’ll go somewhere else.
- Consistency. When your customers can find you in multiple channels such as Messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, website, etc, it helps them build a relationship with your brand. They come to know and trust that they can always find you where they expect you to be.
It builds loyalty and encourages them to keep coming back to your business.
Make sure you’re available in the channels that your customers are using, so you can reach them where they are. This is how you can ensure golden customer care service.
REVE Chat is an excellent omnichannel customer engagement platform that can streamline all conversations across all online and offline channels and deliver a consistent service experience.
Sign Up with REVE Chat and give your customers a way to connect with you across their preferred channels.
4. Show Respect and Value Their Time
Showing respect and value for their time is the most important customer service golden rule. When you respect your customers’ time, you are indicating that you value them as people. This is especially important for businesses, as customers are more likely to return if they feel appreciated.
For example, if any customer asks for any service or products you should respond to their query as early as possible. It will give them a positive vibe that you are valuing and respecting their time.
Additionally, respecting customer time can help you save money. If customers feel that you do not respect their time, they may be less likely to stick around and browse your products or services. This can lead to lost sales and increased marketing costs.
Finally, respecting customer time can help you establish a positive reputation. When customers feel that you care about them and their time, they are more likely to recommend your business to others. Establishing a positive reputation is essential for any business wishing to grow.
5. Don’t Argue With Customers
No one likes to be told they are wrong, especially when it comes to something as personal as our opinions. However, when it comes to customer service, there is one golden rule: never argue with the customer.
There are a few key reasons why you should never argue with customers. First and foremost, it can damage your relationship with them. In the heat of the moment, it’s easy for things to get out of hand, and the customer may end up feeling like they’ve been wronged. This can lead to them being less likely to do business with you again in the future.
Second, it can be a waste of your time and energy. Arguing with customers is often a pointless endeavor – you’re not going to change their minds, and they’re probably not going to be convinced by your arguments. All that will happen is that you’ll both end up frustrated and angry.
6. Know When to Apologize
Why should you always follow this customer service golden rule?
The first reason is that it shows that you are willing to admit when you are wrong and that you are willing to take responsibility for your actions.
This can go a long way in restoring customer trust, which may have been damaged by whatever incident led to the need for an apology in the first place.
Another reason why you should always be aware of when to apologize to your customers is that it can help to prevent them from leaving your business.
Apologizing shows that you are willing to do whatever it takes to keep them happy and satisfied, and it can help to repair any damage that may have been done. For example, a customer might demand a refund on the products or services you provided you simply can’t provide a refund on; so you should respond with an apology and then offer an option.
7. Serve the Customer Before Anything Else
Another customer service golden rule is to serve the customer before anything else. It should be your number one priority. It doesn’t matter what you do, or how you do it, if you don’t take care of your customers, you won’t be in business for very long.
As a business, it’s essential to always provide top-notch customer service. Committed to making sure that your customers are happy with their experience shopping with. If you want to be their go-to choice for all of their needs, whether it’s finding the perfect product or getting help with a return.
8. Support Customers Consistently
When businesses provide excellent customer service, it makes a huge impact on the customer’s life. It can make them happy, it can make them feel appreciated, and it can make them feel like they’re valued.
Happy customers are more likely to return to your business, recommend your business to their friends, and leave positive reviews online. They’re also less likely to file complaints or return products.
However, if you are unable to support your customer consistently then they will not leave a positive review online as will not recommend your business to others.
For example, if a customer is on hold for 30 minutes only for speaking with a customer care agent on the phone, they’ll not be satisfied with the experience. Make sure you are supporting your customers consistently.
9. Ensure Robust Communication
Effective business communication is a key to success. Without it, it would be difficult to keep your customers informed about what’s happening and to maintain a good relationship with them.
It’s just as important for businesses to be communicative with their customers as it is for customers to be communicative with businesses.
In order to ensure that both sides are getting the most out of the communication, here are a few tips:
- Be timely: It is one of the key aspects of golden customer care service. When you’re sending out information, make sure that it’s sent in a timely manner. Customers don’t appreciate having to wait a long time for information that should have been sent right away.
- Be clear: Make sure that your information is easy to understand. Don’t use jargon or complicated language, as it will only confuse your customers.
- Be responsive: If customers reach out to you with questions or concerns, make sure that you address them as soon as possible.
10. Train Your Employee to Provide Superior Customer Service
When your employees are properly trained in providing golden customer care service, it can result in happier customers, which can lead to increased profits.
If your customers are happy with the service they received from your employees, they are more likely to return in the future. A study by the Journal of Service Research found that 85% of customers would return to a business after having a golden customer care service experience.
Another benefit of providing superior customer service is that your customers may be more likely to refer their friends and family to your business. In fact, a study by Nielsen found that 92% of consumers trust referrals from friends and family more than any other form of advertising.
11. Put Yourself in Customer Shoes
To really put yourself in the customer’s shoes, you need to move beyond what you think the customer wants and start listening to them. The best way to do that is to take a serious look at your customer questions and feedback.
For example, if your website goes down for technical error it will create a serious problem for your customer, and it should be unacceptable to you. In this case, if you were in your customer’s shoes, you would just want the problem fixed.
By putting yourself in your customers’ shoes, you can better understand their needs and exceed their expectations.
You can empathize with customers by understanding their situation and perspective. You can also show empathy by being understanding and helpful, even when the customer is being difficult.
12. Be Friendly and Professional
When you speak to your customers, be sure to be friendly and professional. Make eye contact simply, smile, and greet them warmly. Use appropriate language, and be respectful of their time and feelings.
13. Listen Carefully
When your customers are talking to you, be sure to listen carefully. Do not interrupt them, and let them finish their thoughts. Repeat back what they have said to ensure that you understand them correctly.
14. Be Patient and Understanding
Customers may not always know what they are looking for or may need help understanding your product or service. Be patient and understanding, and take the time to explain things clearly. If a customer is upset, do your best to calm them down and resolve the issue.
15. Ensure You Can Keep Your Promise
It is one of the most important customer service rules you should follow. The first is to never make a promise you can’t keep. If you can’t deliver on what you’ve promised, the customer will be left feeling disappointed and frustrated. You have to consider the matter carefully.
For example, if you need some extra time to deliver any products or services then apologize first to the customers and let them know politely the reason of delaying.
What Are the Golden Rules of Communication?
There are many ways to communicate with others, but some methods are more effective than others. In order to get your point across and achieve your goals, it’s important to follow the golden rules of communication.
Now let’s take a look what are the golden rules of communication:
- Clear and concise – When communicating with someone, make sure you are clear and concise. Don’t use flowery language or too many words – just say what you need to say.
- Patient and listen – Don’t interrupt the other person, and make sure you listen attentively. If you don’t understand something, ask for clarification.
- Respectful – Always be respectful when communicating with others, even if you don’t agree with them. Remember that everyone has different opinions and views.
Why Should You Follow the Golden Rules of Customer Service?
There are countless reasons why following the golden rules of customer service is important, but here are just a few:
- Builds trust. When you treat customers with respect and courtesy, they’re more likely to trust you and your company. This trust can lead to more sales and a better reputation for your business.
- Positive experience. A positive customer experience is a key to retaining customers and encouraging them to return in the future. By following the golden rules of customer service, you can ensure that all of your customers have a good experience with your company.
- Demonstrates that you care. Caring about your customers is very effective and it ensures a golden customer care service experience. When you take the time to listen to your customers and meet their needs, it shows that you truly care about them.
How to Build Customer Service Standards?
Customer service standards are important because they define the expectations customers have when interacting with your company.
Poor customer service can damage your reputation and lead to lost revenue, so it’s important to make sure your standards are communicated clearly and are upheld by your team. There are a few ways to build customer service standards into your business.
You can create a policy manual that outlines the expectations for your team, or you can train your employees on how to deliver great customer service.
It’s also important to make sure your customer service standards are reviewed on a regular basis to ensure they are still meeting the needs of your customers.
Here are a few tips on how to build and maintain high customer service standards:
- Train your employees. It is a key aspect of providing golden customer care service. Make sure your employees know what your customer service standards are and how to deliver excellent customer service.
- Set expectations. Customers need to know what they can expect from
- your company. Let them know what your customer service standards are and what they can expect from your employees.
- Be consistent. Being consistent is another customer service golden rule. Make sure you deliver the same high-quality customer service every time, every customer.
- Respond quickly. Customers want to be able to reach you quickly and easily. Respond to their emails, complaints, and queries as quickly as possible.
- Be polite and helpful. Your customers should feel like they’re your top priority.
How Exceptional Customer Service will Help You Grow Your Business?
When it comes to customer service, exceptionalism is key. This is because providing excellent customer service can help you to boost your sales, retain customers, and even improve the quality of your products or services.
For businesses, it is essential to provide excellent customer service in order to keep customers happy and coming back for more. In fact, a recent study showed that 89% of customers would leave a business due to poor customer service. This means that your business could be losing a lot of money by not providing good customer service.
On the other hand, providing superior customer service can lead to increased sales. A study by American Express showed that businesses that provided outstanding customer service saw a 26% increase in sales. This is because happy customers are more likely to return and refer others to your business.
How customer service golden rule can help you to grow your business? Here are three reasons why:
- Boost sales – happy customers are more likely to return and make a purchase, so providing excellent customer service can help to increase your sales. Golden customer care service plays a key role to increase the number of sales and satisfied customers.
- Retain customers – customer service is one of the main ways to keep customers loyal to your brand. When customers are happy with the service they receive, they are more likely to stay with you rather than switch to a competitor.
- Helps to improve service or products – listening to customer feedback and using it to improve your service or products is a golden rule in customer service. It’s a great way to show that you value your customers.
How REVE Chat will Help you to Provide Exceptional Customer Service?
There is no doubt that customer service is one of the most important aspects of any business. It can make or break a company. Excellent customer service shows that a business cares about its customers and is willing to go the extra mile to make sure they are happy. It can also help to build trust between a business and its customers.
Most businesses know that providing exceptional customer service is key to success. However, providing exceptional customer service can be difficult, time-consuming, and expensive. That’s where Reve Chat comes in.
REVE Chat is a customer service chatbot that provides exceptional customer service to businesses and their customers. It helps businesses to provide fast and efficient customer service, which can improve customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Our chatbot is designed to help you quickly and easily connect with your customers. With our chatbot, you can provide instant support, answer questions, and resolve complaints.
Plus, our chatbot is available 24/7, so you can connect with your customers whenever they need you.
If you’re looking for a powerful way to improve your customer service, then REVE Chat is the perfect solution for you.
Outstanding customer service is not only necessary for boosting sales but also is required to retain the customers to your business.
If you want to take your customer service reputation to the next level then following these golden rules of customer service will be the ground-breaking solution for your business. There is no doubt that quality customer service is the key to a successful business.
Keep one thing in mind that customer service is a double-aged sword. Outstanding customer service can make your business at the same time pool quality customer service can break your business wholly.