Customer service representatives are key to the growth and success of a business, sometimes directly and sometimes otherwise. They have a big role in helping a business achieve its goals and objectives. Above all, their biggest significance lies in ensuring a positive experience for customers.
In between all this, service reps have to engage customers, listen to their concerns, answer queries, and offer relevant information. In addition, these representatives are also expected to have complete information about the company’s products and services to do the job well.
With so many tasks to cover, it’s never easy for a company to create a suitable customer service representative job description. And if the job description is not created properly, a company might not be able to hire the best reps for the job of customer service. And that can adversely impact the overall performance of the business.
So, in this blog, we will explore everything about the job description of a customer service representative, show some examples and also learn how to create a perfect job description.
But before moving further, let’s know a bit more about the role of a service rep.
What is the Role of a Customer Service Representative?
The primary job of a customer service representative is to handle customers and interact with them. Their key role is to engage with customers, know their problems, understand their issues, and ensure help in a timely and efficient manner.
For an organization, a service rep plays a significant role by assisting customers and ensuring optimal experiences with the product or service. Service reps have various tools for help and can engage with customers on a variety of channels such as phone, email, live chat, and social media.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Customer Service Representative
Customer service representatives are vital cogs in an organization’s operational wheels. They are hired to fix customer-centric issues by performing a range of activities assigned to them. So much so, 93% of customers can make repeat purchases if your company offers excellent customer service.
Some of the key duties and responsibilities of a customer service representative may include –
- Be the single point of contact for customers – The biggest duty of a customer service rep is to be the single point of contact for customers and take ownership of their problems. A service rep must be the source customers can turn to for any solution, information, resolution, or update regarding the product, service, or procedure, or for any matter whatsoever.
- Fix the problem and offer a timely solution – It’s the responsibility of a customer service representative to provide the best possible experience for customers by fixing their problems and by offering a timely solution. As soon as a problem comes up, the service rep must explore all the possible ways to fix it and enable a hassle-free experience for customers.
- Collaborate with the internal teams in case of issue escalation – A service rep may not always solve all the problems customers face. And sometimes there might be issues where escalation becomes necessary. In such situations, service reps not only need to be prompt but also escalate the issues to the concerned team for quick help.
- Follow up with the customer and collect feedback – Following up with the customer/s is one of the key responsibilities of a service agent. With the follow-up, the agent needs to find out of the problem still exists, or if the solution worked. The idea here is to check with the customers how their experience was and gather their feedback as well.
- Share the on-job experiences for the creation of help resources – Being a service agent means handling a diverse range of customer problems and facing a variety of challenges. All this enriches the agent with valuable experiences and knowledge along the way. And this wisdom of an agent is what an organization looks to tap into in the creation of help guides or solutions.
Key Qualities of a Good Customer Service Representative
A business can acquire and retain more customers when it has an excellent service team working for it. In such a team, customer service reps are of good quality, possessing all the key skills required to do the job well. After all, investing in new customers can be 5 and 25 times more expensive than retaining existing ones.
Here are some of the key qualities of a good customer service representative –
- Good communication skills – A service rep must possess good communication skills to handle customers efficiently, understand their problems well, and solve all issues in a professional manner.
- Effective listening skills – If a service agent does not have effective listening skills, he/she may fail to grapes what customers say. With these key skills, an agent can better understand customer problems and take steps to resolve all the problems.
- Subject matter expertise – An agent can serve the customer best only when they have complete knowledge of the product and service. And when the agent is knowledgeable, they can do complete justice with their role.
- Attention to detail – A detailed-oriented service representative can carefully look down into the problem without any hurry and find out the specific solution to the problem. They will focus on each and every element to ensure a holistic solution.
- Problem-solving mindset – A good agent will always have a problem-solving mindset with an emphasis on helping customers in every possible manner. Such reps have the mindset to go the distance in ensuring help to customers.
- Ability to multitask – Customer service agents need to possess the ability to multitask as their role requires them to handle a diverse range of tasks simultaneously.
What to Include in Your Customer Service Job Description?
Hiring for the role of customer service representative involves the key task of creating a well-defined job description. In fact, the chances of finding the right people often depend a lot on how well a job description is crafted. Since no two industries are alike, so will their job descriptions too.
Here is a list of key things to be included in your job description for the role of a service agent –
- Job Brief – A job description must include a job brief at the job that gives a short overview of the job and the role. With a jib brief, candidates can get a fair bit of an idea of what they should expect when applying for the position.
- Job title – There should be a clear mention of the job title, such as “Customer Service Representative” so that candidates have more clarity about the job they are applying for.
- Job Summary – While the job brief gives an overview of the role, a job summary can tell candidates the purpose of the position or the objectives behind hiring for the position.
- Responsibilities – Here, you need to outline the key duties and responsibilities that will come with the position. You can either create a list of those duties or write them as you want, but the purpose is to let candidates know what they should be doing once hired for the role.
- Experience & Qualifications – In this section, you need to clearly specify the kind of experience, education, and skills you look for in candidates.
- Additional Information – Besides the above-mentioned points, you may also include some additional information regarding the job to give more clarity to would-be candidates. You might highlight the company culture, perks, and benefits available, working conditions, and anything else that you think can help candidates know about the role better.
3 Examples of Customer Service Job Description
Customer service is a specialized job that requires people with lots of skills and knowledge. And since each industry is unique, the nature and the kind of role performed by a service agent too might differ a bit. But in general, service reps anywhere have to perform customer-centric roles for the organization.
Here are some good examples of customer service job descriptions from different industries –
Example 1 – Hiring for the Position of Customer Support Executive in the Financial Market
We’re a reputed company in the field of financial investment. Our company offers services, guidance, and advice aimed at helping investors in long-term investments in the equity market.
- Call the potential customers
- Engage the prospects and convince them to sign in for our investment services
- Communicate and convert them
- Full-time, Regular / Permanent
- Fluent English Speaking Skills
- Ability to communicate with customers
- Great conversation ability with a knack to inspire customers
- Should be a graduate with English as a major subject or one of the subject
- Prior knowledge of handling customers from the financial market
- Connaught Place, New Delhi
- Total work: 1 year (Required)
- Customer service: 1 year (Required)
- Salary Range – $30,000 – $35,000 Annually
- Flexible work hours
- Target-based incentives
- Quarterly Performance Bonus
- Provident Fund
- Preference would be given to a candidate who is living in and around New Delhi or is willing to relocate before starting the work
- Graduate with English as a subject or English language as a mode of education
- English (Required)
- Hindi (Required)
Example 2 – Hiring for the Position of Customer Service Representative at an Insurance Company
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in Customer Service Field or Call Center
- Proficiency in the English language is a must
- Great Communication Skills
- Data Entry Experience
- Ability to Multi-Task
- Attitude to work in a fast-paced, call center environment
- Proficiency in working on a computer
- Proven Problem-solving aptitude
- Attention to Detail
- Provide help to customers with their insurance claims
- Ensure help with any task and information related to insurance
- Report new claims as and when it occurs
- Respond to telephone inquiries from customers
- Handle, gather, and manage confidential information
Example 3. Hiring for the Role of Customer Service Representative at a Pharma Company
- Work with our customers to answer questions
- Collaborate with the senior sales rep and ensure accurate information about our products
- Schedule and plan meetings
- Handle calls from customers
- Process and follow up on sales orders
- Assist managers in the distribution of reports
- Maintain a high level of professionalism
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with team
- Willingness to achieve goals
- Inclination of self-improvement
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Knowledge of MS Office programs will be preferred
Make Your Customer Service Team More Productive with REVE’s Engagement Tools
A customer service team is only as productive as the kind of tools it has at its disposal. The better tools it has, the better performance it will give.
At REVE Chat, we realize the significance of having the right tools that can add to the value of customer service agents. We, therefore, offer a range of customer engagement tools that can make service reps more resourceful and more adept.
You can test our AI-powered chatbots and add a touch of automation for various support tasks. For visual engagement, we have video chat software and co-browsing software that empowers your team in offering great help.
In addition, our live chat software can be used in collaboration with a chatbot for offering hybrid support and boosting customers’ experience with your brand.
With our tools, you can redefine your customer engagement effort and take it to the next level altogether.
Offering great customer service is not possible unless your support team has world-class tools for help.
With REVE Chat, you can give your service agents the right kind of technology and tools and make them more adept at the job.
So, sign up here and test our engagement tools for your business.