The quality of customer service conversations can either make or break the prospects of any business.
In fact, poor interactions always make customers feel frustrated, sometimes forcing them to the extent of moving away to competitors.
Worryingly, 82% of customers won’t mind leaving a company with one bad experience.
To avoid reaching that point, you should get your communication strategy right with the focus on using positive customer service phrases to ensure happy customers.
Needless to say, your business can create loyal customers and enhance their experience with your brand if you use positive, impactful phrases on a regular basis.
15 Excellent Customer Service Phrases to use
Customers wish for good experiences when they reach out to businesses with problems. They expect service agents to use energizing and positive language as this makes them feel good about the company they are associated with. So, you should follow customer service etiquette and ensure value with every interaction.
There are many powerful and excellent customer service phrases that you can use to create an impact on customers and win their trust.
- “Nice to meet you. How can I help you?”
- “Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate that.”
- “I completely understand your situation.”
- “That would upset me, too.”
- “Could you please tell more about that?”
- “Feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood something.”
- “Our apologies for letting you go through this.”
- “Let me make things better for you.”
- “We will surely help you on that.”
- “Here’s what I can offer you instead.”
- “Let me know anything else I can do.”
- “Your issue is now passed down to the right team.”
- “Expect to hear from us by (blank).”
- “We appreciate your feedback.”
- “You mean a lot to us.”
Let’s look at each of the phrases in detail;
1. “Nice to meet you. How can I help you?”
It’s always necessary to greet customers and make them feel welcome, whether in the physical or online world, or whether you use live chat, email, or phone.
Even when you know customers have come with a problem, you should still approach the situation with a visible sense of excitement as this sets the tone for a good conversation.
When you use customer service phrases like, “Nice to have you” or “How may I help you?”, it basically works as an inviting tone for customers to join into a conversation and open up.
- Always start and end the conversation with a touch of respect towards customers so that they feel like pouring the heart out without any inhibition.
- Show customers how you feel good about having them, no matter whether you respond to a mail, talk over live chat, or connect over a phone.
2. “Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate that.”
Every problem that customers come up with is an opportunity for your business to improve a notch up and meet the expectations of the stakeholders.
And if your business sees problems as a chance, it should then be reflected in the way it communicates with customers.
By thanking customers for bringing an issue to attention, you show them the genuine concern you have to fixing that in order to deliver them a better overall experience.
- Applause customers for noticing any flaws in the product or service and reporting it to you.
- Appreciate their effort and encourage them to keep coming with such issues in the future as well so that the quality of service can be improved for everyone.
3. “I completely understand your situation.”
Not all customers would come with reasonable demands. Some may want you to do them a kind of favor, like asking for a tweak in your product or adding more features to your service, etc.
Even in such situations, you should wait to say no to customers straightaway and rather show them how their feedback matters.
The focus should be on empathizing with customers and acknowledging their use of your products. The idea is to hear them, relate to them, and show them their opinions matter to you.
For such a situation, you need to know the perfect phrases for customer service and use them for sympathy and acknowledgment.
- Keep the language positive even for odd demands of customers to show them their idea has merit.
- Use the phrases in a way that gives them an impression that you understand their position and you can work on their suggestions sometimes in the future.
4. “That would upset me, too.”
The last thing customers would want is to feel that their problem is somehow ignored.
To avoid that, it’s important to use empathy statements for customer service to make users feel how they have merit, or their issue is worth the attention, even if it’s not.
The easiest way to be empathetic is by using positive customer service phrases in a way that makes them feel as if you can relate to them at some level.
You need to show by words how the situation would have affected you in the same way, or how it would have upset you equally.
- “I can completely relate to this situation.”
- “I would feel the same if I were in your position.”
- “This kind of problem would have similarly frustrated me.”
5. “Could you please tell more about that.”
The best way to respond to customers is by first getting to know the root cause of their problem.
Unless you know the motive, how can you fix it effectively?
However, customers are not always as forthcoming as they should be so you might encourage them to share a bit more about the issue so that you can provide the relevant response.
You also need to prod customers to “tell more” or “open up a bit further” to get the right response.
- Stay receptive to the feedback and show how any input shared by customers is valued.
- Phrase your question in a way that customers feel like opening up a bit more in a view to getting a better and quick response.
6. “Feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood something.”
As a customer service agent, you are supposed to have clarity of the issue to solve. For that to happen, you need to keep asking customers unless you’re sure about the problem.
The use of words like “please confirm this again” or “let me confirm this again” or “correct me if I got something wrong” can help you be sure of the situation.
And when you seek clarity, it might serve two purposes – customers will get confidence that their voice has value and second, you will get a good grasp of the situation.
Other possible variations
- “Let me confirm if I’ve got this right.”
- “I want to make sure I understood everything correctly.”
7. “Our apologies for letting you go through this.”
Don’t delay the inevitable.
Yeah, if you have to say sorry to a customer, say it sooner rather than later.
It’s always the right strategy to be prompt with an apology to let customers know their issues have caused you pain.
And if any features of your product or service have inconvenienced the user, you should better own up the mistake the utter the golden word straight away.
By apologizing, you show to customers you’re prone to mistakes but also always ready to say it and show the resolve to improve.
- Saying sorry should never feel like a banal platitude but rather sound like a step in improving customer’s experience with your brand.
- Steer clear of excuses when making an apology as it can infuriate customers further.
8. “Let me make things better for you.”
The role of a support agent is to make things better for customers.
You’re also responsible to let customers know you’re there to help them out in any situation.
And before moving ahead to fix the issue, you need to appreciate customers for having come up with the problem.
Other possible variations
- “I am more than happy to help.”
- “It’s pleasure to serve you.”
- “You can always count on us for help.”
9. “We will surely help you on that.”
Good service agents know how to make customers feel good about their situation and how to use energizing language to mitigate any concern whatsoever.
They not only acknowledge the problem immediately but also give the confidence of fixing it sooner rather than later.
You too should always use positive customer support phrases like “surely” to convey your intent and show how much you’re willing to help customers with any type of request or problem.
- Always use impactful words such as “will” “definitely” “must” etc. to let customers how you approach the problem and how you intend.
- Use confident language and adopt a proactive approach so that customers can feel trust in your ability to deliver results.
10. “Here’s what I can offer you instead.”
You are not going to meet all customer requests all the time. There will be situations when meeting the exact demands of customers would not be possible.
For such cases, denying the request would not be a good customer service example as you need to come up with an alternative so that customers get some value out of the situation.
You also need to be cautious of not using negative words when you’re not able to meet the exact needs.
Possible variations of the phrase
- “Sorry, that isn’t possible right now, I can offer this…”
- “Currently, we’re not able to meet that. What else I can do is…”
11. “Let me know anything else I can do.”
The kind of phrases or words you use to decide how customers feel about conversing with you.
And when you show a tendency to help by using words such as “what else I can do” or how may I help more”, it can encourage customers to share more about their problems.
Similarly, it will depend on your choice of phrase whether you’re willing to help and go a step further in solving the problem.
Possible variations of the phrase
- “Feel free to share more. I am here to help you.”
- “Tell us more, don’t hold back anything.”
12. “Your issue is now passed down to the right team.”
Customer service agents are not always the right people to solve customer problems.
For such scenarios, many teams make the mistake of using phrases like “I can’t help” or “this is beyond our reach” or something on a similar line.
On the other hand, you can win customers’ confidence easily by letting them know how their issue is being passed down to the specialist.
And when the experts will look into the problem, customers can definitely expect the best response for their problems.
- Never give customers the wrong assurance if you are not going to pass their problem to the expert team.
- Always say the truth and try to give the exact reason without any bones about that.
13. “Expect to hear from us by (blank).”
You’d be making mistake if you heard customers out and did not give them any timeline to resolve the issue.
It might create a sense of uncertainty in their mind forcing them to lose hope in your brand.
More than solving the problem, you should ensure that customers get the feeling that their voice is heard and their opinions matter.
And when you give a specific timeline by using words like “expect us to hear within 24 hours” or “we will get back to you in tomorrow” or something can add value to customers.
- Make sure the timeframe you give customers to solve their problem is in tune with the urgency level of the matter at hand.
- Never delay fixing a problem that needs immediate resolution else it can leave customers frustrated.
14. “We appreciate your feedback.”
Customers deserve a pat on the back for the honest feedback they give about your products or services.
So, rather than being cynical, you should always try to adopt a tone of appreciation for any input received for your product.
There are some perfect phrases for customer service which you can use and show how any feedback is appreciated.
If you use encouraging words and positive phrases in such situations, it will give a great deal of confidence to customers in coming up with feedback for your products.
15. “You mean a lot to us.”
The more you make customers feel special, the more loyal they become.
So, you need to regularly show them how they mean the world to your business as this gives them confidence.
Right after solving their problem, you can use words like “You mean a lot” or “Thank you for being our customers” or something similar and show them your appreciation.
8 Common Customer Support Phrases You Should Avoid
Many service agents make the mistake of using the cliche, negative, and old-fashioned phrases time and again for customers. Such canned responses type phrases often lack genuineness and feel more like a formality than a well-intentioned statement. They hold no value in a time when a conversational AI chatbot can improve customer service performance by using the right phrases based on the inputs of the users.
Here are the 8 most common customer service phrases you should avoid:
“I can’t help you on that.”
The last thing a customer would want is to hear this phrase as it shuts the door on them completely. Even if you can’t help, rather than denying it right away, it is always better to offer an alternative to assuage some concerns.
“You’re not the only one facing this problem.”
Customers hate when you club them together with others or when you don’t give special attention to their problem. Avoid that and never use this phrase.
“Our team is busy with other important work. Please come later.”
Nothing should be more important to you than customers. So any phrase that states otherwise can always harm your cause more than you think.
“I am not the right person to help you on that.”
Even when you are not the right person to help customers, you should not say this and rather take effort to pass the problem to the next team. Don’t expert customers do that.
Customers may make mistakes but rather than saying it in an obvious manner and giving the matter a personal tone, you should rather stay on the bigger picture and use positive words to fix the issue.
“Don’t be in a hurry. We have other customers as well.”
Customers would obviously want their problems to be resolved as quickly as possible. And when they want you to hurry things up, you should take it well and never use negative words for that.
“I have never had this issue before.”
Every issue that a customer brings to your notice should be seen as an opportunity rather than a burden and the best way to do that is by using the right phrase.
“This problem will take time to resolve.”
Of course, some problems require more time but you should not present it that way. The focus should be on giving customers a specific timeline so that they can feel confident about the solution.
Improve Communication and Trust with Perfect Phrases for Customer Service
Positive and relevant conversations always ensure happy customers. And if your agents know how to use customer support phrases at the right time, it can not only improve the level of communication but also ensure loyal customers.
The focus should always be on making customers feel heard and giving them the confidence to come up again in the future if they face any issue. So, make sure your team is trained on the use of good customer service phrases to win the confidence of customers and deliver value to them with communication.